27 December 2010

Castle walls



"Everyone thinks that I have it all, but it's so empty living behind these castle walls"
- Castle Walls - T.I. featuring Christina Aguilera

Lily Cole

Last night it almost brought me to tears to watch my patient a grown man in his 50s lay silent in bed with tears slowly welling up in his eyes. He was intoxicated, unkempt and his body was covered in tattoos. He just wanted to die, and he had several failed attempts of suicide in the past. He was keen on walking out of the emergency department but we had a duty of care to hold him in hospital until he had his brain scans done. I looked him in the eyes and apologised prior to administering a sedative into his vein. I said sincerely "I'm sorry I'm just following doctor's orders", he looked into my eyes and said "I know... it's not your fault". 
You really can't judge a book by its cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment